Sunday, February 3, 2013

Two Wheels to Adventure: Saguaros and Signs

Me first, this time.

Lindsey - Saturday, February 2nd

So I didn't post last night because I was just too tired.  And this morning I'm off and running again, which means that this post is going to be another photo montage without a lot of words.  I'll just say that being with my Alaskan high-school friend and her two young kids has been such a joy that I'll be sad to move on and will miss them.  Our day together started with a horse-riding lesson for the 5-year old and ended with a big girl's afternoon, without the kids, in the Saguaro National Park, including a sunset hike.  It was just like old times when we explored the wilds of Alaska like our own private playground.  Our favorite place was Hatcher Pass where we'd hike and mountain bike without a care in the world, usually leaving very muddy and very happy.  I remember our adventures together fondly and was so glad to create a new one.  Here's a few highlights.

High-school friends on a new adventure at Saguaro National Park.
Exploring at the Sonoran Desert Museum.

I think this was for kids.

My friend was an expert lizard spotter.



Don't freak out...there was glass between me and this Mountain Lion.
A barrel cactus full of fruit.

I know I'm goofy.
 The Sonoran Desert Museum is a big place.  It has acres of trails with coyotes, hummingbirds, javelina, raptors, bears, wild cats, bees, and butterflies.  And then there's an aquarium (test, you read correctly) and a reptile room, two restaurants, an art gallery, and a library.  The place was so big we didn't see it all, but we got our fill.  We felt a bit crowded by the number of people at the museum and were ready for some peace and quiet after lunch.  So, we found, with some difficulty, a trail head in another part of the park and ventured out on our own to explore the desert.  It was just what we needed to wrap up our girls-day-out.  The temperature cooled in the setting sun and the air was silent.  I instantly felt relaxed and in sync with the outdoors...just the way I like to be.

There were no trail signs but we found our way, because we're Alaskan girls!

My friends called this a cheerleader pose. Ra-Ra-Ra!


These Saguaro have to be 70 years old before they get their first arm.
The downward arms result from frostbite damage.

Our "trail" was really a wash.

My friend didn't like her picture being taken, but
I couldn't resist.  I needed context!


It's a Valentine's Cactus!
By the end of the day, we were wiped out, but fulfilled.  Tomorrow we go to the Ostrich Ranch!

Peter - Saturday, February 2nd

I don't know what to say about Peter's travels on Saturday.  The extent of my communication with him has been mostly text messages, so there isn't a lot of detail.  Here's an example:

Peter: "Mohave was cool.  So hot there in summer.  Everything burnt by the sun.  Even rocks look burned."

Lindsey: "Hot here too.  Im jealous about joshua tree! Take photos"


Peter: "Did in Mohave.  It's like a Forrest there.  It was pretty cool.  Having fried rice and roll for lunch."


Lindsey: "Skydiving is expensive.  Stomach is iffy."


Peter: "Still.  Your kale didn't fix it."


Lindsey: "Gut feels like something is stuck.  Feel weak."


Peter: "Not quite sure of meat origin in my roll.  But it's tasty.  Sorry bout your stummy."


That's pretty much the most we've talked in the last four days.  So I'm just going to let the photos speak for themselves.  By this afternoon Peter and I will be in the same location and this blogging of our travels will be simpler.  Enjoy Peter's snippets.

Someone must have been tired when they made this sign.



This is so gross.  Who thinks of this?

No comments:

Post a Comment