I don’t really know how hot it was. I just know that is was too hot for 9:30 in
the morning. The temperature had worked
its way into the hundreds a couple days earlier and only promised to get
hotter. My skin was like a griddle. I could have made a pancake on the back of my
neck. I struggled to pull the heat into
my lungs and extract the oxygen. My
posture wilted. The air pressed in on
me, threatening to crumple me like a soda can on a redneck’s forehead. After getting painfully burned on our hike at
Mount Lassen, I made sure to slather every exposed part of my body in spf40 mineral sunblock. I even wore a
hat. But sunblock can’t block the heat.
![]() |
| A picture cannot convey the heat. Does my expression? |
I stood on the shores of Whiskeytown Lake, just outside of
Redding, CA. The Park Ranger handed me a
life jacket and a paddle and instructed my son and I to carry our boat to the
edge of the water. Ten other friends and
family members were instructed to do the same, until we were all standing on
the beach, roasting in the heat, and awaiting the clearance to get in the
blessedly wet water.
![]() |
| Ready to kayak on Whiskeytown Lake. |
After a brief safety lesson from Ranger Watkins, we were allowed to wade into
the cool lake with our two-person sit-on-top kayaks and get situated. There was a sustained wind that ruffled the
surface of the water and dried out my lips and eyes. Once we started paddling, bucking the tiny
waves, the wind blew every stray water droplet from the paddles and wave breaks
onto our bodies. Relief from the heat landed
one drop at a time and I was soon sitting in a puddle, damp and happy.
My son and I paddled in sync and pulled ahead of the rest of
the group. We weren’t trying to be first, but, in all
fairness, it wasn’t our first time in a kayak.
I once spent a week paddling tandem ocean kayaks around Vancouver Island with a bunch of teenagers. Seven days of
constant kayaking sort of burned the motion into my muscle memory. This is not to mention that I also own two lake
kayaks, which my son and I take to the water as often as we can. But, even with that previous experience, I
think we also made a pretty good team.
![]() |
| My fabulous kayak partner. |
The whole armada of kayakers, 11 boats in all, trailed after
our Park Ranger through the choppy water toward a calmer part of the lake just around
the bend. My biceps burned and my arms
felt sloppy after only a couple minutes of paddling, but they soon warmed up
and settled into the familiar motion, like peddling a bicycle with my
hands. Most of the other teams also
found their rhythm after a few minutes, but some never quite did. The idea with tandem kayaking, as explained by
the Park Ranger, is that the front person powers and the rear person steers. In functional terms, this means that the job
of the front paddler is to keep a steady even stroke going while the back
paddler matches it and makes corrections as needed. Letting the back person steer is the key to
going straight; matching your strokes is the key to speed. Teams who didn’t master that synchronicity soon
became obvious as they veered from side to side, gliding into the paths of
other boats (sometimes colliding), like bicycle couriers weaving through heavy
traffic. Their high-pitched bickering was also a good indicator. Despite these comical
difficulties, we all arrived in the protected cove in good spirits, giggles and
grins emanating from every face.
We learned how to “raft-up” with each other, positioning
every boat side-by-side and holding on to our neighbor’s vessel to create a
yellow and orange flotilla. Then we made
our way up a narrow channel, catching peek-a-boo glimpses of a river otter in
the water. At the end of the channel we
were given some free time to exit our boats and partake in a swim. The relentless heat had already dried my
clothes after traversing the windblown chop just 10 minutes earlier. I wasted no time in going overboard to get
some relief. What bliss! As an Alaskan girl, it’s ingrained in me that
a dip in a lake can mean hypothermia even in the summer. Not so in Redding, California! The water was just cool enough to quicken my
breath for a moment and then felt absolutely divine. It was a heavenly moment, the kind I live
for. I soon coaxed my son out of the
boat, and he practiced the Ranger’s technique of holding on to the bow with his
feet while I paddled to shallower water.
Too soon, it was time to get back in the boats and move on. Ranger Watkins, who clearly enjoyed his job,
did his due diligence telling us interesting stories and facts about
Whiskeytown Lake and its environs at each of our stops. However, I must admit here in writing that I
completely failed as a fellow Naturalist to pay a lick of attention to what he
said. My excuse, apart from sheer lack
of attention, was that I was distracted by my son’s growing insistence to
control the boat. When the boat was
supposed to be still, he wanted to paddle (just a little); and when he was
supposed to be the power, he wanted to steer.
It all came to a head when the Ranger set us up for a race around a
small island. It was the third and final
fun challenge he devised to make the morning a splendid experience. I was confident that my boy and I were going
to do well. After all, we’d ended up at
the front of the pack on each leg of the trip without even trying, even when
we’d started at the back. We were a good
team.
The Ranger prepped us by stating, “rubbing is racing.” He meant that since we were starting from a
raft-up position, there was no way we could hope to win unless we were willing
to jostle and bump into each other to try and get ahead. He was encouraging
a boat scuffle. He was insisting on
competition. The only downside was that our boat was exactly in the middle of
the flotilla. We would need a lucky boost
to get out in front, but apparently my son was realizing the same thing and he
had a plan. When the Ranger finally released
us, my son pushed the boats on either side of us backward, propelling us
ahead. I dug my paddle deep and fast
into the small gaps that formed between our kayaks. I was desperate to try to win, and for a
glorious moment it looked promising for us.
Actually, I can’t really say if it was a moment or a minute. My vision immediately tunneled until all I
saw was my son in front of me, and the dark water I was plunging my paddle into
beside me. Time became irrelevant. And then my paddling became irrelevant. Suddenly, two boats crushed up along side of
us, leaving no room for me to put my paddle in the water and propel us
forward. In seconds (I think) the whole
flotilla caught up, engulfed us, chewed us up, and spit us out the back of the
pack. I saw my son’s shoulders sink, but
I heard myself yelling at him to just keep paddling. “Right! Right! Now Left! Dig!!” We were dead last. What lay ahead of us was a snarling mess of
crazy kayakers crashing into each other and getting crammed into the brushy
shore halfway around the island. I
wanted to explain to my son that I had a plan to go around the outside of the
traffic jam and let our speed get us caught up to the front runners, but all
that came out was, “Paddle! Go! To the right, Right, RIGHT!! Don’t
Stop!!!!” In all the confusion and
frustration of losing our lead he decided to shut down. As I paddled ferociously, directing him which
way to go, I watched in disbelief as he drug his own paddle in the water to
brake and steer us the opposite way. He
was working against me! He was
sabotaging what remained of our chance at victory by avoiding all
confrontation! He refused to follow my
commands until I finally explained my strategy and assured him we could still
catch up (though I knew we couldn’t win).
He rallied his spirits and started paddling again. Back as a team, we moved swiftly and
efficiently around the jumble of boaters snagged on a partially submerged tree,
some physically holding each other back in the name of friendly
competition. As we rounded the last
corner of the island, I could see that my sister-in-law had already won and
there were two or three other boats ahead of us nearing the finish line. I prodded my sweet (but mutinous) boy to dig
deep as I put my whole upper body into each stroke. We managed to pass at least one more team to
finish a respectable fourth (I think).
I should mention now that I don’t particularly like
competition. It can conjure such
feelings of disappointment in myself if I don’t do my best, that I can be quite
sullen for days. It just doesn’t seem worth the hassle. I could see that
insipid dejection working on my boy now and I felt it in my own chest, but it
was such a beautiful day that I refused to let that little boat race get us
down. I assured him that he had been an
excellent kayak partner and I was proud that we had finished strong. I chalked our loss up to miscommunication,
bad luck, and a poor starting position.
Excuses made me feel better. But
I also conceded that his auntie was a pretty strong woman and just might have
powered her way to victory regardless.
He smiled at the idea of his auntie with Popeye arms churning the water
like a stern-wheeler across the finish line.
To make further amends, I even traded places with him so he could steer
the boat on the final leg of our kayak journey.
In case you were wondering, yes, we were the first ones back to shore.









No comments:
Post a Comment